Level: Upper-intermediate / B2
Please click the 'Print Friendly' icon at the bottom of the page if you want to print this exercise.
Alternative energy sources
There is an excellent website called Daily Infographic which produces wonderful visual material about many different topics.
This week they have one called Super alternative energy sources everyone should embrace.
Have a look at it, then answer the following questions:
1) What is the goal for limiting global warming?
2) How much energy is produced by solar power?
3) What is the average size of a wind turbine?
4) How much of Iceland's heating is geothermal?
5) What are the problems with using hydrogen as an energy source?
Bonus question (this is just for you!) - how much of your countries energy comes from alternative sources? Please let me know the answer in the comments section.
1) 1.5 °C (''one point five degrees Celcius'')
2) 480 GW (''four hundred and eighty gigawatts'')
3) 150m (''one hundred and fifty metres''; in American English: ''one hundred fifty meters'')
4) 90% (''ninety per cent''; in American English, percent is often one word)
5) High costs (for infrastructure and fuel cell vehicles)