Please click the 'Print Friendly' icon at the bottom of the page if you want to print this exercise.
California's worst drought for over a century is causing big problems for farmers and residents.
Read this BBC article about the situation.
You can also download the podcast.
Read and/or listen to the article, then answer the following questions:
1) How much water do almonds farmers need?
2) What are people doing to their gardens to cope with the drought?
3) For how many years has California had this drought?
4) How much of the world's supply of almonds comes from California?
5) Which country is the biggest market for the almonds?
1) A trillion gallons per year
2) Installing succulent plants and ground cover
3) This is the third year