Please click the 'Print Friendly' icon at the bottom of the page if you want to print this exercise.
Koala numbers are dropping. Studying eucalyptus leaves could help understand why.
Watch this short video (2.5 minutes) too find out more.
When you have watched the video, answer the following questions:
1) How many koalas are there in the wild?
2) What are the possible reasons for their decline?
3) What is Elisabeth Neilson studying?
4) What technique is she using for this?
5) True or false: the koala is Australia's largest ground mammal?
1) Less than 40,000
2) Increase in droughts and fires in their habitat.
3) How koalas digest eucalyptus
4) Genome analysis
5) False (it is the largest tree-dwelling mammal)